With the Consignment Event fast approaching, a few suggestions to increase your pay!
1. Develop your game plan
Don’t want to wait until a couple days before drop off, pace yourself.
2. Start cleaning out closets, storage containers, the attic, the car, grandma’s house, etc.
3. Begin the great divide
Worthy of consigning?
- Take all items out in the light of day or under a florescent light. Ask yourself again would you want to buy this item? What if your name was on it? Would you want people to know you brought it? Questions to ask yourself when you are evaluating for sale:
Are the colors faded?
Is this item worth $3.00?
- If items are made out of cloth; we recommend you wash the items to make sure they have a fresh smell, especially items that have been in storage or around smoke.
4. Prepare your worthy items for the sale.
Snap every snap, button every button, zip every zipper, tie every bow, etc.
- Freshly pressed and starched items will certainly catch the eye of the shoppers. Don’t forget about the appliqués and ribbons.
- A needle & thread works wonders…tighten loose buttons, secure hems and appliqués.
- For shoes, remember only 5 pairs per gender! Only shoes in very good/excellent condition will be accepted.
- Polish, wipe, wash…. do whatever it takes to make them look as good as new!
- Tie shoe laces neatly, buckle the buckles and clean out the Velcro to make the shoes look their best.
5. Toys, Toys, Toys are hot sellers! Almost all the toys sell if properly prepared.
- Wipe down, clean and sterilize
- Include and insert batteries if required
- Double check all games, puzzles, and anything with additional pieces to guarantee they are complete.
- Package accessories in a clear plastic bag and reinforce with packing tape to prevent anyone (especially children) from opening and scattering the pieces. Mark the bag with your consignor # and name of the item to which it belongs.
6. Bag It! For smaller items fill a clear bag with bottles, outlet plugs, hair bows, hats, etc.
- Create theme bags; Rattles, balls, toy cars, bath toys, safety items, etc.
- By manufacturer; Baby Einstein, Avent, etc.
7. Your tag is very important too!
- Write or Type neatly. Don’t scratch out errors, start a new tag.
- Highlight special features: reversible, glows in the dark, adjustable waistband, etc.
- Indicate the original retail price to let the shopper know how much they are saving
- If available, include the original instruction book or download one from the internet.
- Keep in mind, there will be many identical items, you must make yours shine!
- If you really want all your items to go, allow them to be sold at ½ price.
- Price reasonably and competitively.
- Enter your Barcodes here!
- Barcodes are placed on the bottom of your index card. Items will be sold using the price listed on the barcode. If “No Disc” is listed on your barcode, the price will remain full price during the 1/2 price sale.
10. SPREAD THE WORD! The more people that know about the sale, the more money you will make!
Let us know if you would like flyers to distribute at your place of business, day care, church, to friends, neighbors with children, etc.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
KidsTown: helping you turn your clutter into cash!